About Manderson MBA Case Team
Manderson MBA Case Team is a unique experiential learning opportunity for students to apply knowledge gained in the classroom and their innate talents while honing their business and communication skills.
But first, what’s a case competition and why are they such a big deal? The format varies depending on the event, but generally, teams of typically four students are presented with a business “problem” tied to the primary sponsor’s industry. For student participants, case team competitions range from more relaxed (four weeks to prepare) to no-sleep, frenzied affairs over a weekend. Regardless of the format, students walk away with relevant problem-solving experience, incredible memories, and relationships that will last a lifetime. In addition, the scholarship prizes that come with wins are particularly sweet.
At case competitions across the country, teams fielded by Manderson have had extraordinary success:
- Third Place: 2023 SEC Case Competition hosted by the Terry College of Business at the University of Georgia
- First Place: 2023 Florida State University Small Business Case Competition in Tallahassee
- Fourth Place: 2023 KeyBank Case Competition hosted by KeyBank and The Ohio State University in Cleveland
- Third Place: 2023 Race and Case hosted by the Daniels College of Business at the University of Denver
- First Place: 2022 IDEAcorps MBA Consulting Challenge hosted by Loyola University New Orleans
- First & Third Place: 2022 Florida Southern College MBA Case Competition (virtual)
- Finalist: 2022 National Black MBA Association Graduate Case Competition in Atlanta
- Fourth Place: 2022 SEC MBA Case Competition hosted by the Gatton College of Business at the University of Kentucky
- First Place: 2022 Race and Case hosted by the Daniels College of Business at the University of Denver
- Second Place: 2021 SEC MBA Case Competition hosted virtually by the Harbert College of Business at Auburn University
- First & Second Place: 2020 Florida Southern College MBA Case Competition (virtual)
- First Place: 2019 SEC Case Competition hosted by the Haslam College of Business at the University of Tennessee
- First Place: 2018 Race and Case hosted by the Daniels College of Business at the University of Denver
- First Place: 2017 National Black MBA Association Graduate Case Competition in Philadelphia
- First Place: 2016 SEC MBA Case Competition host by the Sam M Walton College of Business at the University of Arkansas
Read our multimedia piece about the successes of the 2022-2023 Case Team.
Get more info about Manderson MBA Case Team by contacting Quoc Hoang, Case Team advisor/coach, and Culverhouse’s experiential learning director.
Our Case for Excellence
Follow four University of Alabama MBA students as they compete in the 2019 SEC MBA Case Competition. Experience their process and the highs and lows of the day, as they chase their goal of winning.
The case, sponsored by FedEx, asks students to explore how FedEx might enter the grocery delivery market. Students have 24 hours to review the case, create their analysis/recommendations, and present their results to a panel of judges. At stake are cash prizes (winning team receives $10,000), bragging rights in the SEC, and the opportunity to impress a panel of prominent community members and FedEx executives.