Prepare for your future dream job now by earning an MBA from The University of Alabama!
Congratulations on your decision to pursue an MBA. We look forward to reviewing your application. Below we have outlined the key components of the process, and our admissions team is happy to answer additional questions.
MBA Admissions Counseling
If you would like to speak with our admission’s director, you are welcome to email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or schedule a appointment with Betsey Voorhees via this link. In addition, as you navigate the admissions process, we are pleased to offer you the following services to help you develop your application: general questions advice, resume review, personal statement review and mock interviews. Our goal is for you to showcase the best version of yourself in the admissions process!
Who Can Apply?
All interested candidates are welcomed to apply. We recognize the positive impact that students from different majors and work experiences can have on the classroom experience and learning outcomes. For students that are applying directly from their undergraduate institution, we recommend you use your resume to highlight all campus leadership roles, summer internships, experiential learning coursework etc. to offset the lack of postgraduate work experience.
Ready to Apply?Apply Now to the Manderson MBA
Applications completed by earlier deadlines are given priority for merit-based scholarships and graduate assistantships. The admissions committee highly recommends applying in the early rounds for the best opportunity for admission and scholarship awards. For joint-degree programs (such as MFA, JD, MS Civil/Mechanical/Aerospace), please refer to both MBA and your program specific deadlines as you will need to apply to both degree paths independently with documents and fees required.
Traditional Full Time MBA Applicants (Fall term enrollment only)
- October 15: 1st round deadline
- For students that apply before this date, admissions decisions can be made on a rolling basis as needed for those deciding between a full time job and graduate school.
- January 5: 2nd round deadline
- February 15: 3rd round deadline
- April 15: 4th round deadline
- May 30: 5th round deadline. (Only offered if space remains in the class)
STEM/CREATE Path to MBA Applicants (Summer term enrollment only)
- November 15th deadline for applications
- Applicants in the Path program only: Please select the term “Summer” for the year you plan to start (summer after Junior year).
- Schedule: Digital interview invites will be sent out on Nov. 16th with admissions decisions made by Jan. 1st
To start your application, visit the online Graduate Application Center. This site shares helpful application information and the application form. Please note it takes roughly 24-48 hours for the system to process your application to allow you to return and “Manage Supporting Documents.” Students may apply to up to two graduate programs at one time. You must apply to each program separately (for example, JD/MBA, Master of Science in Marketing or Master of Science in Civil Engineering).
$65 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents
$80 for international students
Waivers may be requested for the following:
1) Veterans and current members of the US military
2) Students who have completed a Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program
Official GMAT or GRE Scores
The Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) is preferred, but the MBA along with most Manderson programs will accept either the GMAT or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Applicants should take either exam, then request that scores be submitted electronically to The University of Alabama, which may be done immediately following the completion of the exam. We accept only official score reports from GMAC, ETS or Pearson VUE that are less than five years old. Official scores must be received before we can evaluate your application.
To determine which one is best for you, The Princeton Review offers a GMAT versus GRE comparison. Another general source for prepping for a test is Go Grad’s Exam Prep.
- 2019 Average GMAT 651(The university minimum is 500)
- 2019 Average GRE 310 (The university minimum is 300)
Official Undergraduate Transcripts
For each institution of higher education (including community colleges) at which you have completed 15 or more credit hours, the Graduate School office requires an official transcript (either electronic or paper). Please note that you do not need to submit University of Alabama transcripts, but we do request that you upload unofficial copes to the system. Additional transcripts information can be found here.
- 2019 Average GPA: 3.6
Statement of Purpose Essay
The Statement of Purpose, also called the statement of intent, is a required Supporting Document is where you share your story of why an MBA from Alabama is the best fit for you. It is ideally 2-3 pages (1.5 or double-spaced) on the following:
- What led to your decision to pursue a Manderson MBA?
- Your potential contributions to Manderson & assets you will bring to the class
- Areas of improvement
- Your concentration(s) interests
- Potential career aspirations
A professional resume should be uploaded. The resume should showcase as much as possible about you as a candidate. This can include information such as volunteer roles, summer jobs, campus involvement, full-time jobs/internships, meaningful class projects etc. For the purpose of the application, the resume can be 1-2 pages.
All applicants are required to upload contact information for 3 references (Name, Email, Title). This can be either academic (A professor in your major or relevant coursework) or past/current supervisors, mentors or advisors that you have had. Note on the submission process: Your recommenders will receive an email notification on instructions on how to upload their letters only after you click the submit button on your application.
International Applicant Requirements:
Visit the Graduate School website for detailed requirements. A test of English proficiency is required (TOEFL, IELTS or PTE). Once admitted, we’ll need several other items noted on the graduate school site.
All candidates for admission are evaluated for all available awards, with award decisions being made after admission has been determined. Award letters are typically presented with admissions decisions, and some awards come closer to the fall based on available funds remaining. No additional forms or applications are required to be considered for our merit-based awards, except NMBAA below. Awards are made in the forms of scholarships, graduate assistantships, and fellowships.
- Scholarships: Scholarships range based on merit. Our goal is for 50% of students to receive some scholarship. Most of our awards require no additional application. We are proud to be a Collegiate Partner of the National Black MBA Association. With our partnership, we commit $25,000 in scholarship funds to qualified NBMBAA members. For students who receive merit scholarships, we award them on an annual basis per academic year rather than by semester. A student’s scholarship is subject for a one-time renewal based on his or her adherence to the MBA Code of Conduct while also maintaining a 3.2 graduate school GPA.
Learn about our NBMBAA scholarship & apply here.
- Graduate Assistantships (GAs): GAs are typically awarded to top students. The assistantship offer consists of payment of half tuition for the fall/spring academic year, as well as a stipend of approximately $6,600.00 (payable over nine months, beginning in September). Depending on your placement, student health insurance benefits and course fees may also be covered as part of this assistantship package. In return, you will be expected to work 10 hours per week, on a research/project assignment within the business school. Students with assistantships are placed in positions with professors or the Manderson office or one of our centers, like the Small Business Development Center, the Center for Business and Economic Research, or similar areas. Your specific assignment will be made closer to the beginning of the school year.
- Fellowships: The graduate school awards a select amount of fellowships to the most highly qualified candidates. Manderson will nominate those who most closely fit the criteria.
See our Investment tab for additional tuition information.